Choosing the right mask: A guide to ASTM barrier protection standards
Thursday, June 21st, 2018 | 12:00 - 1:00 PM CST
Understanding the risks of choosing the wrong mask has never been more important for three reasons: 1) facial exposure to blood and fluids, 2) clinical emphasis on reducing healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and 3) renewed efforts by hospitals to improve patient and staff safety via quality initiatives.
In this webinar, Angela Maxwell will discuss how understanding ASTM surgical and procedure mask standards can help providers select the appropriate mask style and level of barrier protection for each procedure.
Angela will explain how the purpose of masks has evolved, what ASTM is and how the three levels of barrier protection are defined. She will also discuss how the risk of infection exposure is real and how most people choose the wrong level of protection. Angela will close with four steps to choose the correct mask.
Attendees will be able to:
- Define the two primary mask classifications
- Understand risks of improper mask selection
- Describe the purpose of ASTM and its facial protection standards
- Overview the three ASTM barrier protection levels
- Know the four factors providers should evaluate when selecting a mask for a given procedure