Increasing Access to Mental Healthcare via Telehealth
According to the American College of Emergency Physicians, more than 80% of emergency department clinicians lack the mental healthcare resources to adequately serve patients.
To address this problem, Behavioral Healthcare Providers partnered with health systems across Minnesota to deliver mental healthcare via Telehealth.
The top reasons for using Telehealth:
1. Safety – patients may be at risk to harm themselves or others if not seen immediately
2. Care – specialists review symptoms, diagnose and offer recommendations in real-time
3. Support – mental health professionals can assist ED staff to locate appropriate resources
Through this program, the organization has been able to:
- Reduce ED admissions by 19%
- Decrease wait times to 36 minutes
- Refer 55% of encounters to outpatient services
Download this case study to learn more about ED Tele-Behavioral Health.